[lbo-talk] Pakistani Taliban claim responsibility for NY shooting

Sujeet Bhatt sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 03:28:37 PDT 2009

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-04/04/content_11131154.htm

Xinhua

Pakistani Taliban claim responsibility for NY shooting

www.chinaview.cn 2009-04-04 15:45:02

ISLAMABAD, April 4 (Xinhua) -- Pakistani Taliban leader Baituallah Mehsud claimed Saturday responsibility for an attack on the U.S. civic association building in New York in which at least 13 people were killed, according to the private Geo TV.

"I accept responsibility. They were my men. I gave them orders in reaction to U.S. drone attacks," Mehsud told some journalists by telephone from an undisclosed location.

He claimed that one Pakistani and another unidentified man launched the attack and he warned the attack several days ago.

"I will not disclose identity of the other attacker as the American police are searching for him," the Taliban chief told several media organizations in Islamabad, Peshawar and the South Waziristan tribal region by phone.

"Such attacks will continue. It was revenge to U.S. drone attacks (in Pakistan) and brutalities in Palestine," he said.

He said that he warned a few days ago of attacks in the United States if the drone attacks inside the Pakistani tribal regions were not stopped.

The Taliban chief claimed responsibility amid reports that the U.S. and Pakistan had agreed on attacks on Mehsud. Reports said that Pakistan would provide information to U.S. for strikes on the Taliban chief.

-- My humanity is in feeling we are all voices of the same poverty. - Jorge Louis Borges