[lbo-talk] they need us - where are we?

Politicus E. epoliticus at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 13:22:47 PDT 2009

Hi. I am unclear why their slogans are dismissed out-of-hand by Henwood. This is not to say that the US Left should not do more to articulate an alternative. But it seems rather odd to criticize their questions "can we guarantee everyone a job, a home, a future?" This is nothing more than a call for full-employment, something endorsed by a wide range of left opinion including US left-Keynesians such as Bob Pollin, Tom Palley, James Galbraith, etc., and Marxists. It also does not seem too bizzare to call for protection of homes in the middle of a foreclosure storm in the US and UK. Perhaps their communications strategy was ill-conceived, but again, it seems odd to shun them for calling for full employment

epoliticus

-- "In the tender annals of Political Economy, the idyllic reigns from time immemorial ... the present year of course always excepted." -- A German refugee, circa 1867 --

http://epoliticus9.blogspot.com/