[lbo-talk] Pre-Primer on Organizing

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 16:39:09 PDT 2009

> For example: Education occurs _within_ a movement. A movement consists
> of people in movement, engaged in some collective action or (sometimes)
> related series of actions. It is only as those participating in those
> actions carry on lengthy conversations with each other that education
> occurs. So the first principle is GET SOME PEOPLE TOGETHER. To do that
> it is necessary to ignore the naivete of wankish onlookers who want the
> education to occur BEFORE ther eis anyone to educate.

I tend to agree with this, and I definitely like your ideas about politics occurring when people are in action. But I also tend to bristle when anyone uses the word "education." I could be picking nits, but education implies a teacher, and it's the teacher I object to. Someone else called your post "anti-intellectual," which I don't think it was, but you need to explain yourself better. I suspect that you may be agreeing with Badiou when he says that politics, and groups practicing politics, *think*, but that's much different than "education."