[lbo-talk] Abolition of prisons (Was: Angela...)

Politicus E. epoliticus at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 19:25:47 PDT 2009

I computed the cross tabulations from the raw data. Those raw data come from the General Social Survey of 2006, and these data are the basis of tables that Doug provided in his earlier posting.

Of the white respondents earning less than $25,000 per year, 57.5% answered that the punishment is too harsh; of the white respondents earning at least $25,000 per year, 42.5% answered that it is too harsh. For African-American respondents earning less than $25,000 per year, 59.5% answered that the punishment is too harsh; of the African-American respondents earning at least $25,000 per year, 40.5% answered that the punishment is too harsh.

On the face of it here, income matters and race does not -- contrary to what I believed at the outset. Those with lower incomes, regardless of race, think that the punishment vetted out by courts is too harsh.

epoliticus

-- "In the tender annals of Political Economy, the idyllic reigns from time immemorial ... the present year of course always excepted." -- A German refugee, circa 1867 --

http://epoliticus9.blogspot.com/