[lbo-talk] 'I get so tired...

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 5 20:55:57 PDT 2009

I can sort of see why, if you take a Heart-of-Darkness take on the term, you might bridle at it. But Conrad's whole point is that it's the whites who are uncivilized, right? Firing blindly into a continent -- and that's on a good day. So: no implication that We Are Superior because we wre civilized. It's like Gandhi's joke, Asked what he thought of Western civilization, he said, It would be a good idea. True story. Not being civilized doesn't have to be bad; no brief to be made per se against indigeneous cultures -- no blind defense of them either. But civilization is a human ideal, valid as many and better than most, and it's _ours_, so if we fail to live up to it, well, it's a failing. No? Andie