[lbo-talk] Abolition of prisons (Was: Angela...)

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 6 11:29:18 PDT 2009

At 07:53 PM 4/4/2009, Joanna wrote:

>I never said that people ought to be in prison because of drug use.
>And that covers at least half of the people who are in prison in the
>U.S. right now.

This is incorrect. In state facilities the percentage hovers around 20. In federal it's higher and I believe did reach 50% in the past but has gone down. The federal system, with fewer than 200,000 inmates is far smaller than the state, with well over a million in custody.

I think the idea that half of people in prison are there for drug charges stems from the increase in federal drug prosecutions.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/prisons.htm

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/fed.htm