[lbo-talk] Abolition of prisons (Was: Angela...)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 6 21:51:07 PDT 2009

Btw, Illinois tracks the old common law definitions of assault:

A person commits an assault when, without lawful authority, he engages in conduct which places another in reasonable apprehension of receiving a battery. 720 ILCS 5/12‑1

Aggravated assualt has a long definition depending, among other things, on the victim:

A person commits an aggravated assault, when, in committing an assault, he:

(1) Uses a deadly weapon or any device manufactured

and designed to be substantially similar in appearance to a firearm, other than by discharging a firearm in the direction of another person,. . .

(2) Is hooded, robed or masked in such manner as to

conceal his identity or any device manufactured and designed to be substantially similar in appearance to a firearm;

720 ILCS 5/12‑2

Battery is the actual physical contact:

(a) A person commits battery if he intentionally or knowingly without legal justification and by any means, (1) causes bodily harm to an individual or (2) makes physical contact of an insulting or provoking nature with an individual.

720 ILCS 5/12‑3

That's also the way the terms are used in tort (civil law).

New York, by contrast, defines assault as the harmful contact:

A person is guilty of assault in the first degree when:

1. With intent to cause serious physical injury to another person, he

causes such injury to such person or to a third person by means of a

deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument; . . . [there is more]

§ 120.05 Assault in the second degree.

A person is guilty of assault in the second degree when:

1. With intent to cause serious physical injury to another person, he

causes such injury to such person or to a third person; or

2. With intent to cause physical injury to another person, he causes

such injury to such person . . .

A person is guilty of assault in the third degree when:

1. With intent to cause physical injury to another person, he causes

such injury to such person or to a third person; or

2. He recklessly causes physical injury to another person; or

3. With criminal negligence, he causes physical injury to another

person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument.

NYCS § 120.00 (this is a misdemeanor).