[lbo-talk] Great Unifier?

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Apr 7 06:32:34 PDT 2009

from Darren Hutchinson

Great Unifier? Pew Center Survey Finds Largest Partisan Gap in Presidential Approval Ratings

http://dissentingjustice.blogspot.com/2009/04/great-unifier-pew-center-survey-finds.html

The Pew Center has released a study which finds deep partisan divisions in public perception of President Obama's job performance. According to the Pew study, 88% of Democrats and 27% of Republicans hold favorable views of President Obama. The 61-point gap is the largest of four decades.

The partisan gap contradicts one of the most prevalent themes in President Obama's campaign: Only he could unify the country. Although I always questioned and really never believed this narrative (not believing that any candidate would reduce partisanship), the theme strongly shaped his campaign and proved highly effective.

In February 2008, the Editorial Board of the Austin American-Statesman published an editorial that offers very effusive support for Obama and passionately embraces the "unity" theme:Obama presents a view of governing that is inclusive and relies on Americans to work with their government to solve sobering problems at home and abroad. Obama’s familiar refrain on the campaign trail is, “Yes, we can.” \ more http://dissentingjustice.blogspot.com/2009/04/great-unifier-pew-center-survey-finds.html