[lbo-talk] Prisons and The Left

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Apr 8 04:06:49 PDT 2009

>--- On Tue, 4/7/09, Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>So what's the point, other than accentuating all
> > the baser elements
> > of bourgeois morality?

ha. I was listening to bell hooks yesterday. she explained white supremacy in an engaging way and, of course, pointed out that people of color are white supremacists. I should have sent the link to the list. *chuckle*

i thought about dropping the link at a discussion on a blog where a woman is talking about racism as the old prejudice + power formulation, maintaining that people of color can't be racists, though they can have stereotypes, bigotries, prejudices. people aren't getting it. but it occurred to me that it's also because they people taking this position aren't very good at explaining either. in this case, joseph, I guess it's just that you can't take for granted that people understand the structural operations of oppression. If I weren't so lazy, I'd get postone out. He has a good passage explaining what bourgeois ideology is and it has nothing to do with the location of the person upholding that ideology, but bourgeois ideology being one that upholds and sustains the power of the bourgeoisie, making it appear normmal, natural, inevitable, unquestionable, etc.

shag

"let's be civil and nice, but not to the point of obeying the rules of debate as defined by liberal blackmail (in which, discomfort caused by a challenge is seen as some vague form of harassment)."

-- Dwayne Monroe, 11/19/08

-- http://cleandraws.com Wear Clean Draws