[lbo-talk] Christian Parenti responds

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 04:52:54 PDT 2009

But most folks don't read him carefully or sympathetically either, he didn't say anything luxury hotels and he's not the only one critical of the lack of imagination or sophistication of "the left" and some of the responses here... and then folks default to name-calling.

It is distinctly possible that CC's short note was predicated on, or could have been headed for, a position much like ADs, yet the quick, snippy and reactive nature of the response precluded any likelihood that we'd find out.

Hell, I disagree with CC quite a bit, too... his was the primary position that drove me to post so many reactions on the PSN-CS list to get invited onto the Left Forum panel on dialectics. What I saw in that exchange, however, wasn't that Carrol moved all the way to the position I was taking but that he moved, and in part that movement arose from a process where he asked me to clarify what I was saying and took it seriously if not always in the way I intended as he headed off with my response in tangential directions away from what I thought the core of my position was... to say that this has kind of engagement has been a regular strategy or element of peoples' engagement on the list would be an understatement of the highest order.