[lbo-talk] Christian Parenti responds

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Apr 8 08:57:36 PDT 2009

On Apr 8, 2009, at 11:18 AM, Matt wrote:
> I don't think I can write it more clearly than this: the abolitionist
> position is that the prison-industrial complex causes more harm than
> good (it literally creates more violent crime than it prevents) and we
> wish it to be done away with. For the problems of addiction, poverty
> and racism, we wish to see social infrastructures in place that do not
> involve incarceration. For the remaining problem of violent
> psychopaths, we wish to see a more humane infrastructure in place
> which prevents these people from harming others, in a way that does
> not involve incessant torture, and for which the institution is not
> part of industries using slave labor, or broad surveillance and
> repression.

That is pretty clear, but let me add one more thing: I (we?) don't need to answer these "what about Dahmer?", "what about my car?", type questions. What about them? Your answer to them is, effectively, to create, offer and support a system that tortures the few of these guys you manage to catch *after* they commit these crimes, along with a whole lot of others that you throw into the same bag because you do not know, among other things, the difference between a threat and an act. That answer sucks. What remains is, at first, for the rest of us to tear down this sucky system.

Chris writes:
> Another thing. Sionce when did "prison" become synonymous with
> "torturous punishment"? I don't recollect anybody here arguing that
> people who are incarcerated should be brutalized. The only person
> here who has made anything like a case that prison should serve the
> function of revenge is andie.

It doesn't matter what people here are arguing, in comparison to the fact that people who are incarcerated are indeed brutalised. A further argument suggests that such brutalisation is a mostly unavoidable consequence of the context of and motives behind this system.

Andie, btw, if I understand him right, would draw a distinction between revenge (as you imply) and retribution. In fact, I think he has. I will leave this space -> [ ] blank for Jordan to write "No there isn't!".

http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2007/2007-June/011195.html http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2007/2007-June/011182.html

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself ;-) PeTA => http://peta.org/ Greenpeace => http://greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to read: http://platosbeard.org/