[lbo-talk] a prison essay/ was christain parenti responds

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Wed Apr 8 12:23:46 PDT 2009

I wrote a version of this several years ago. It was first published on Counterpunch.

It is included in my forthcoming book of essays and stories, In and Out of the Working Class,

to be published later this month by Arbeiter Ring. Our prison system is so unfair on so many levels,

but why do people in prison have to be treated as if they were no longer human?

I can say this--no one who has taught in prison will ever forget it or remain unchanged by

the experience. Michael Yates

At the "Wall"

Pennsylvania’s Western Penitentiary, known to its residents

as "The Wall," was a maximum security prison (it

has since been closed), sitting along the Ohio River on the far

north side of Pittsburgh. The spot is a pretty one, although

in the fenced-in former parking lot facing the river, to which

the inmates had occasional access, the fence itself was covered

with plastic sheeting so that they could not see the water.

I taught classes in economics at this prison for two years

on Tuesday evenings. I arrived a little after 6:00 p.m., signed

in at the front desk, and presented myself to a guard. I emptied

my pockets and took off my belt and shoes if they had

any metal on them. The guard checked my bag, and I walked

through a metal detector. I had a cushion with me because I

couldn’t sit on a hard chair without pain. I had to get prior

permission from the superintendent’s office to bring in this

cushion, and it was checked by the guard each time I came for

class. After passing through the metal detector and back out

again, I went in. Another guard took a filter of some sort and

put it into a machine that looked like a miniature dust buster.

He ran this over my palms, my jacket pockets, my pants and

shirt pockets, and my pants cuffs. Then he removed the filter

and put it into another machine that checks for of a wide variety

of drugs. A marker visible to a special light was used by

the guard to mark my hand. I was given an ID card with my

picture on it, and I placed this in a visible place on my shirt or

jacket. Then another guard was called by the one at the desk,

and he came out to escort me to the school building inside

the prison. We awaited the opening of a set of double doors

by still another guard, invisible to us. The doors opened and

we walked down a hallway to another set of doors that opened

into the yard of the prison. We walked a block or so through

several gates to the school building, and the guard let me into

the classroom.

I awaited the arrival of the students. They were sometimes

late, for any number of reasons; prisons have many checks on

prisoners and these take time. Not all of the students made

every class. Some of them were on various sorts of punishment.

One man missed a class because he rebelled when he

was not allowed to go to the funeral home to see his dead

mother’s body. I made small talk with the guards. It was best

to keep on their good side as they could make life difficult

for me if they wished. If I planned to use a video or a film, I

had to let them have it in advance. Before this procedure was

implemented, a teacher showed the film The Battle of Algiers

to a class studying Franz Fanon’s Wretched of the Earth. This

probably would have been prohibited had she had to show the

film to the prison administrators first. Generally, you can use

any materials you want, but titles referring to persons such as

Mumia or Leonard Peltier will probably be confiscated, if not

from us then from the inmates.

I never felt unsafe in the prison. However, I did jump the

first time the double doors slammed behind me (just like in

the movies). And I was nervous about the first class. To do

a bad job here was just unthinkable. It was not a credit class.

The government took away Pell Grants (financial aid) from

the prisoners, and so they could not afford to attend college.

When this happened, the University of Pittsburgh closed the

degree program it once had there. A friend of mine, who helps

run the current program, did not want to see all non-vocational

programs end at the prison, so she and another person

started a non-credit certificate program. So far, it has been a

great success.

In my first class, I had the students sign the roster sheet

and asked them to put down, in addition to their given names,

any name they preferred me to use. Some wrote down Muslim

names, one an Egyptian name, and some nicknames. So I had

Khalifa, Senifer, Heru, Farid Rafiq, Bamoni, Crump, Capone,

and Muscles as well as Charlie and Deion. They ranged in age

from early twenties to late forties. I did not know why they

were in prison. All but one of the students was black (I am

white), and it struck me right away that not one of the black

students was light-skinned. They did not look like the African

American newscasters we see now on television. Not only do

black Americans face an abominable discrimination that puts

so many in prison, but those with the darkest skin color also

face this discrimination most forcefully.

I began the first class by saying something about myself.

A student interrupted me and asked if any of my college students

had gone on to become CEOs! I replied that I had a former

student who was now a rich bond broker on Wall Street

but I did not know whether to be proud of this or not. Then

I passed out some handouts. I started to talk about capitalism

and what I thought were its main features. Then I asked

a question about wealth and the discussion began. I can only

describe it as a runaway train. We talked about many things,

for at least an hour without a stop. Some comments were as

sharp as any I have ever heard from a student, some were funny,

and some reflected views common on the outside. But all

were made seriously, by men wanting to know and to have

their voices heard. I was exhilarated in a way seldom so in

my regular classes. When I got home I slept fitfully. I kept

thinking about the class and I kept seeing the students’ faces. I

dreamed about them most of the night.

The next class was just like the first. We discussed an article

called "Buddhist Economics" by E. F. Schumacher, from

his book Small is Beautiful and compared the Buddhist concept

of Right Livelihood with work and consumption in capitalism.

This time we went on for an hour and a half. Then I took a

break, but they were back in their seats in a few minutes. I

gave a brief lecture about the accumulation of capital. I had

Marx’s famous letter scheme, M-C-C’-M’, on the chalkboard,

and I explained what each letter meant while they wrote furiously

on their notepads. The class ended with me pounding

on the table, saying "Accumulate! Accumulate! that is Moses

and the Prophets." I had their complete and undivided attention

when I said this and then argued that capital will be accumulated

whatever the cost, whether it be enslavement, theft,

or murder.

During this class, I felt something I have never felt in a

class before. I know that this may sound naive, but I felt sitting

there with convicts all around me, that we really were

brothers. We left the class together after the whistle shrilly

blew the signal that they had to return to their cellblocks. We

walked down the steps of the classroom building and out into

the yard among the general prison population. I looked up at

the stars and my heart was filled with a hard sadness.