[lbo-talk] "Doing History Backward" (Partial Draft)

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Apr 8 13:55:17 PDT 2009

Phil writes:

"My favourite example of this, which was not only one of the first steps in this direction, but seems highly pertinent today, was the movement under the British Thatcher government to get working-class people to buy their council houses - houses that today are being repossessed."

Apart from what sounds like gloating at other people's misfortune, your point lacks proportion.

nearly two million council homes were bought by their tenants under the right to buy scheme between 1979 and 2003 (http://www.statistics.gov.uk/STATBASE/ssdataset.asp?vlnk=7712)

In 2008, the annual total of repossessions despite a great increase was still under 40 000. I suppose if it kept that up for fifty years, all of those council houses might get repossessed - but I am guessing that the creditors intend to sell those homes, not board them up.

You are right of course that buying a council house did not make anybody middle class - but then did anyone really believe that? A lot of people were glad to be free of the local authority's crappy services and were pleased to buy their homes - and why should they not be the people best placed to work out how to look after themselves?