[lbo-talk] Marx without quotations

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 16:23:49 PDT 2009

James Heartfield

Ted: "The idea of "freedom" embodied in the idea of "free manifestations of their lives" in "the true realm of freedom" sublates Hegel's idea of it as "the unity of the universal and individual", the unity of "freedom" and "necessity". This idea makes the ontological assumption that there is a knowable and objective "good". It's this "good" that Marx treats as "transhistorical", as the "unmoved mover" in human history."

No, I don't think so. The good ought to change, too, in different moments. It is only transhistorical insofar as it is indeterminate, or empty.

^^^^^ CB: I'd say , for Marx and Engels, struggling to be free of exploitation, struggling to be free of denial of producing and consuming one's own material necessities is natural, instinctive. Class struggle derives from species being. This is the transhistorical as determinate and full. It is natural in the Realm of Necessity. With the abolition of classes, humanity enters the Realm of Freedom, communism. "Mastery of necessity" will be the abolition of masters.