[lbo-talk] Joseph Massad gets tenure

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Thu Apr 9 05:49:05 PDT 2009

================================== Netanyahu's election gives the US a better chance to force the Israelis to bend a bit to reach a "deal" with a Palestinian government which includes Hamas - the idea being, of course, that you need a de Gaulle to withdraw from Algeria and a Nixon to go to China because they won't draw fire from the right for doing so that a liberal politician accused of "treason" would. The US badly needs a Palestinian state, or at least the appearance of one, to contain Iran, to shore up the Saudi and Egyptian governments, and to reduce the influence of radical Islamists elsewhere, notably in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Obama's talking-to will likely be aimed at splitting the Netanyahu wing from the Lieberman one on the Israeli right.