[lbo-talk] Note of thanks

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 9 06:59:41 PDT 2009

Like I've mentioned before, the influence of Heidegger on Foucault is obvious. That's where he gets his whole the system is determined by power thing (power being a substitute for "presence"). In Derrida it's even more obvious (and explicit). Anyway I was never much interested in that period of French thought, which the exception of the very early and very late Derrida.

Personally I think that the idea that Heidegger could replace Marx, or anybody doing history/sociology/political economy, is silly. They were concerned with totally different questions and operated on different planes. It would be like replacing Newton with Freud.