[lbo-talk] Prisons and The Left

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 9 14:14:42 PDT 2009

At 12:22 PM 4/9/2009, Joseph Catron wrote:

>No one should really want
> > living among us, for example, the kind of people created by employment
> > as prison or jail staff.
>

>Y'know, I have lived among them, and they really aren't that bad.
>
>This peculiar belief among some leftists, that people who do nasty things in
>the course of their work must, by logical consequence, be nasty people,
>never ceases to amaze me in its naivete.

So when they're doing "nasty things" at work then they're not people at the time?

I think it's naive to think that when your training includes how and when to do "nasty things" to people that some of it won't bleed into the rest of your life. All you have to do is look at what happens to cops. It's hard to escape an us and them mentality in that job because that's what's drilled into you in training and reinforced every day on the job.

I think that's maybe Carrol's point (however bluntly put). Having a lot of the workforce devoted to controlling people doesn't bode well for the social fabric. Once upon a time when Wobblies still roamed the earth there wasn't much question whose side cops and jailers were on was there?