[lbo-talk] omg! she's digging in the dirt! go ma belle!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Apr 10 06:13:25 PDT 2009

Up until the '50s anyhow (probably varying from region to region) one reason some might grow at least a small garden would have been for luxuries not available on grocery shelves -- leaf letturce, green onions, radishes. My memory is pretty dim here, but I'm fairly confident that even large supermarkets pre-war did not have much in the way of fresh produce. The point during the war was that all canned foods were rationed, Your ration of sugar was larger if you canned fruit: I think that was only for fruit farmers.

Carrol