[lbo-talk] note of thanks

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 10 07:48:24 PDT 2009

It suddenly occurs to me that this notion (the inescapable system lying behind everything) may well partially arise from fascism and Heidegger's disappointment with it. It was a common belief among fascists and the European right-wing more broadly that capitalist liberal democracy and communism, despite outward appearances, were really at bottom the same thing (humanism). Later, when the bottom fell out of Nazism, Heidegger revised this so that capitalist liberal democracy, communism, and fascism, despite outward appearances, were really at bottom the same thing (technological thinking). Fascism had tried to break out of the System (not that Heidegger would have used that word), but it couldn't, because the System is everywhere.