[lbo-talk] note of thanks

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 10 09:26:38 PDT 2009

For Heidegger or Derrida, the "system" is at bottom the structure of reality, or at least reality-as-perceived, so no you can't get beyond it. All you can do is point to the "outside" in a negative-theology kind of way by showing how the system contradicts itself or is at points arbitrary or can't account for everything. Foucault I'm not so sure about since he was working on a more social level. Plus I haven't read much Foucault. But the possibility of escape from the system would kind of contradict the grim, gothic horror atmosphere of Foucaultworld with its lurid focus on MADNESS!, SEX!, and DISCIPLINED BODIES WRITHING ON THE GROUND! ;)