[lbo-talk] Heartfield on Derrida

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Apr 10 12:35:45 PDT 2009

I was reading Of *Grammatology when my eyes went bad, and had just finished _________'s Marxism and Linguistics (much more interesting than Bakhtin). Derrida was absolutely right that print/writing makes/made a difference: that the space you see between these words was one of the reasons writing was in many ways more important than speech. There have been some important articles in *Critical Inauiry over the years taking off from this key point. Abaout the rest of Derrida, I have no real opinion. I thought his book on Marx sort of a bore.

Carrol