[lbo-talk] Voice of America, voice of reason?

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 11:11:53 PDT 2009

The NPR stew on this topic:

--Shipping companies and insurers tend to regard occasional ransoms basically as the cost of doing business.

--lots of practical problems with arming the crews or with military escorts.

--Smattering of comments that collecting ransoms is basically the only thing happening as far as economy in Somalia.

--Kind of annoying actually to hear Diane Roehm, whom I sometimes find more sane than this, banging the drums for some kind of military action despite being repeatedly told including I think by someone with military credentials that sending drones to bomb things on land will be even less effective and less popular than doing this in "Af-Pak."

--Big issues about how hard to find a legal forum and venue to try pirates and invoke punishment that would be meaningful.

--At least no one frothing at the mouth about Al Qaeda Sanity?

DC