[lbo-talk] cleansing

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Apr 11 19:21:45 PDT 2009

On Apr 11, 2009, at 10:07 PM, Philip Pilkington wrote:

> Hilarious that people have still ignored the psychoanalytic
> explanation...
>
> And hilarious that it sort of explains why more people would care
> more about
> their toilet during times in which they have to "hold back" on
> spending...

That might be interesting, if true, but I'm not sure it is. Americans have been obsessed with colonic health for at least a couple of decades. Sometime in the 1980s, I remember standing dumbstruck in a health food store on the Upper West Side of Manhattan in an aisle full of colon cleansing preparations, many illustrated with an image of the colon itself. I first heard of the high colonic some 25 years ago. The person who first told me about it said that after one, colors appeared brighter.

Doug