[lbo-talk] Prisons and the Left

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 20:48:10 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 5:07 PM, John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> Dennis Claxton wrote:
>

> There's plenty of evidence that when a prison comes to town there is
>> widespread negative fallout that includes spikes in domestic violence.
>>
>> PBS ran a film a couple years ago called Prison Town USA about Susanville,
>> California where a new prison opened in 1995.
>>
> Several years ago when my SO and I added the Federal Prison and nearby
> State prison to our list of pet therapy visits I got to see up close how
> sucky the guards are.

But this is all anecdotal, and having plenty of anecdotal experiences of my own with prison guards who functioned as normal members of society, didn't beat their wives, etc., I don't find it that convincing.

If anyone has any empirical data on actual violent crimes committed by prison guards, as compared to other people in similar economic and social circumstances, it would go much further.