[lbo-talk] internally riven

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Apr 13 04:00:50 PDT 2009

At 05:03 PM 4/12/2009, Miles Jackson wrote:
>Chris Doss wrote:
>>I don't think it's really so much paranoid as solipsistic. You've got
>>this system operating everywhere, determining everything, and
>>operating independently of anything according to its internal rules.
>>Sure there's differance and power and all that (in
>>post-structuralism), but really they serve the function of a
>>noumenon. Like I said this may be true on some deep metaphysical
>>level, but I don't think it works all that well for societies --
>>which are not actually structured like languages.
>
>This is an apt illustration of the disciplinary silos in academe. The
>notion that there are social structures that operate independently of any
>individual is a fundamental idea covered in any Soc 101 class. In this
>respect, Foucault's work is almost banal sociology. It fascinates me that
>a fundamental principle in one academic discipline is construed by someone
>trained in another discipline as outrageous solipsism.
>
>Miles

here's an online text that outlines "paranoid structuralism" -- the work of a law prof from whom Halley got the term. The 'enlightenment' bit in the quote below is what interested me. Halley uses the term to describe the structuralists Foucault is criticizing.

http://duncankennedy.net/documents/A%20Semiotics%20of%20Critique.pdf A Semiotics of Critique, Duncan Kennedy

"Paranoid structuralism teaches us that it is part of our modern social and individual psychological condition that we are playthings of forces whose existence and true relationships the "normal" discourse of our world denies, thereby helping to reproduce the denied condition. The forces have a "logic" we can master, to some extent, but only if we overcome the denial. Reproduction theory53 is just as important here as in organicism, but it has taken a perverse turn. The paranoid structuralist asks how unwanted things get reproduced, rather than how the organism sustains itself through time. The answer is paranoid because it emphasizes that "out there" forces or people or structures operate behind our backs, insinuating themselves into our very being to make us feel that we are freely choosing what is bad for us. The result is that we can't trust ourselves or anyone else, unless and until we have . . . undergone enlightenment."

"let's be civil and nice, but not to the point of obeying the rules of debate as defined by liberal blackmail (in which, discomfort caused by a challenge is seen as some vague form of harassment)."

-- Dwayne Monroe, 11/19/08

-- http://cleandraws.com Wear Clean Draws