[lbo-talk] Franklin Rosemont RIP

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Tue Apr 14 18:34:34 PDT 2009

from my Facebook FW, Steve Ongerth posted an announcement to the cause Industrial Workers of the World.

I regret to announce that Fellow Worker Franklin Rosemont, one time editor of the /Industrial Worker/ and member of the Charles Kerr Publishing Company, editor and writer of many fine books on IWW cultural history died on April 12, 2009.

Rosemont was the editor of the /Industrial Worker/ in 1988 and was largely responsible for the issue--published that May--where Earth First! and the IWW were "introduced" to each other (I can email folks a copy of that as excerpted in my upcoming book).

It was that issue that helped bring about the IWW - EF! coalition that played a major role in Redwood Summer and facilitated the work done by Judi Bari, Darryl Cherney, and countless others.

FW Rosemont's decision to publish an issue of the IWW's newletter of record focusing on Earth First! was by no means free of controversey, but it was a key turning point in the history of both Earth First! and the IWW.

Franklin is survived by his wife (and co Kerr Publishing Company member) Penelope. Further details will be forthcoming.