[lbo-talk] The Cultural Anthropology of 9/11

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 14 23:49:47 PDT 2009

I'm not sure this is a correct reading of Kant. The mountain/ocean/night sky/other enormous thing is still organized rationally -- it still exists in space and time, according to the principles of causality. It is just cannot be experienced *all at once*.

(The immediate effect of Kant was to give birth to all kinds of mysticisms and irrationalisms, like Novalis and Fichte. I think of him as more the end of the Enlightenment than one of its architects, personally, since Kant makes hash out of the idea that the world is, ultimately, rationally understandable at all, opening up a big space for religion in so doing.)

--- On Tue, 4/14/09, Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at rawbw.com> wrote: Lyotard is fascinated by this admission, from one of the philosophical architects of the Enlightenment, that the mind cannot always organise the world rationally.