[lbo-talk] good morning my fellow ecosystems

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Apr 15 08:22:15 PDT 2009

Eubulides wrote:
> [Mereologically yours, E]
>
> http://seedmagazine.com/content/article/the_body_politic/

Great article. I loved this bit:

“We put a lot of weight on a life form’s ability to think

independently,” Relman says, but microbes have achieved fantastic

evolutionary success by operating on a very different principle.

Microbial communities are filled with examples of self-sacrifice for

the benefit of the larger colony. They form physically close

communities in which some cells exist solely to provide structural

support or protection for others.

I know some of the vegetarians on the list have ethical objections to killing cows and pigs for food, but if I were forced to choose between killing a cow and killing one of these microbial communities, the choice would be easy. The cow's dead meat.

Miles