[lbo-talk] Rise of Nasty Right

Michael McIntyre morbidsymptoms at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 12:31:01 PDT 2009

Conventions about use of the definite article are almost entirely plastic, as I'm reminded every time I pick up Economic and Political Weekly. In LA, evidently, the highway number is a proper noun, just like "The Dan Ryan" in Chicago. Stranger adventures with the definite article have been known to happen. It really threw me for a loop when I was learning Portuguese and discovered that (a) in Brazil it's a real mark of having a stick up your ass to EVER refer to someone by their last name, but that (b) in an academic conference, you can't just refer to someone of high status by their first name. So, the rule becomes definite article + first name and sometimes second name, as in "o Fernando Henrique" (a real reference to that sociologist who was, you know, President of Brazil for awhile).

And why do people in LA always call a highway by "the" followed by its route