[lbo-talk] Rise of Nasty Right

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 15 13:09:45 PDT 2009

At 12:50 PM 4/15/2009, Doug Henwood wrote:

>>I think that's because the names change a lot. The (CA) 101, for
>>instance, starts out as The Ventura Freeway, changes to The
>>Hollywood Freeway, and finally The Santa Ana Freeway, all within
>>about 12 miles.
>
>I'm not wondering about the number, but the use of the definite
>article. Elsewhere people say "95" or "I-95." I've never heard anyone
>say "The 95."

Hadn't thought of that before. When I'm in Los Angeles I say "the 10" but if I take the same road out of town I would say I-10.

Here's two guesses. One, when you use the name you use the article so "The Harbor Freeway" becomes "The 110." Or, if you're talking about going across town by freeway you would say "I'm taking the freeway," as opposed to surface streets. So "the freeway" becomes "the 10."