[lbo-talk] good morning my fellow ecosystems

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Apr 15 14:21:09 PDT 2009

On Apr 15, 2009, at 1:07 PM, Chris Doss wrote:

> I think it's silly. Bad things should be minimized. Causing pain and
> suffering is bad. Killing animals causes pain and suffering.
> Therefore...
>
> It's not exactly a complicated logical argument, or one with
> controversial premises (unless you're one of those epistmological
> jackasses who only believes in Cartesian doubt only when it comes to
> a premise he doesn't want to accept).
>
> Why should the burden of proof be on the advocator of vegetarianism
> anyway? It's not like meat-eating is a universal human practice.

To some extent it is. Very few purely vegetarian communities have existed in human history, AFAIK. However, as you imply, large numbers of human beings live a healthy vegetarian life (I would estimate a 100 million or more, just in India), and the argument that meat is a necessity, generally speaking, does not seem to hold much water.

You are quite on target I think w.r.t the opportunistic use of Cartesian doubt. Ignoring the revealing attempts at humour here on the list, there are some serious arguments that have been offered against many of the positions of animal rights/welfare. A while ago I posted something from Bernard Williams here on LBO. I will try to find it again on the Internets.

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself ;-) PeTA => http://peta.org/ Greenpeace => http://greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to read: http://platosbeard.org/