[lbo-talk] Rise of Nasty Right

Sheldon humanist.observer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 15:35:56 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2009, at 3:46 PM, Sheldon wrote:
>

>> Even the mainstream conservative movement is becoming unhinged.
>> Perhaps DHS has been collecting alot of data on extreme right chatter?
>> Sure they have been around for awhile, but they seem to percieve a
>> massive shift to the left and have rather extreme reactions when
>> politics shifts slightly to the center.  I would not be surprised at
>> all if we see some major incident of home grown right-wing terrorism
>> happening in the next couple years.  We'll see.
>
> Dems also thrive on this stuff. "Vote Dem, or the fascists will take over!"
> Gold in the mail for the likes of Morris Dees.
>
> Doug

Not to detract from the facinating conversation about language. But you seem to ignore or dismiss my point. I am not sure about how Dems thrive on this stuff, and I am not too worried about these particular fascists actually taking over.

However, it does seem like there is a sub-culture of right-wing paramilitary types that are persistently present in American society, and they occasionally demonstrate their propensity for violent acts in American society. With a deep recession and other factors their next resurgance could be dangerous.

And if a genuine left could ever get any traction in this country, it could be their favored targets.