[lbo-talk] Laibach writes...

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 18:03:56 PDT 2009

> Alan Rudy <alan.rudy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Laibach's version of "I've Got a Feeling" from their 1988 album Let it
> Be...
> > a revelation at the time and a joy ever since. It tends to really freak
> my
> > students out.
>
> Haha, in what context do you play it to your students?
>
> Mike Beggs

Two contexts: Most often, since I teach my Intro Soc back to back (to back, sometimes) in the same room, I play music in between... but I also teach a pop culture course where I use Michael Azzerad's book, Our Band Could Be Your Life, to explore 80s post-punk as the wildly differentiated but deeply intentional transition from 70s arena rock to the chaos of the present.... Laibach shows up in the context of discussions of covers and what's a good one and what's not (Phil Collins covering Motown).

The students tend to like Scout Niblett, esp. her duet, Kiss, with Bonnie Prince Billy or her Take Away Show songs... check the whole range out at: http://www.blogotheque.net/-Concerts-a-emporter-?lang=en