[lbo-talk] Lenin quote

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 15 18:38:20 PDT 2009

Hmm, looking through Russell Jacoby's article on the history of crisis theory in Marxism, I see nothing like the Lenin quote. It's certainly not against the drift of Lenin's thinking, though. E.g., Lenin on Luxemburg: "It pleases me very much taht you in the main point came to the same result that I 14 years ago defended against Tugan-Baranowsky and the 'populists,' namely that the realization of surplus value even in a 'pure' capitalist society is possible." Later, "I have read Rosa's new book... Horribly false interpretation! She has distorted Marx." While Lenin thought that crises were an inevitable part of capitalism, they were temporary things. More Lenin (again from Jacoby): "[T]he limits of the development of the market in capitalist society are set by the limits of the specialization of social labour. But this specialization by its very nature is as infinite as technical developments."