[lbo-talk] Rise of Nasty Right

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Apr 15 22:28:37 PDT 2009

Doug Henwood wrote:

> I've never heard anyone say "The 95."

Well, unless your a linguist specializing in American dialects there's probably a lot of common expressions you've never heard. Have you ever heard, "We eat late a lot anymore." "Anymore" used in positive statements --only occurs in central and southern Illinois. It made me gape the first several times I heard it.) And in Pitsburg (at least 50 years ago) one could say (pronunciation) "I cot a nap on a caught." And there are really weird ones in the upper peninsula of Michigan but I've forgotten them all. I'm no linguist, but my guess is no one knows the 'reason' for most regional idioms. That's just what they say.

Carrol