[lbo-talk] good morning my fellow ecosystems

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Thu Apr 16 12:57:22 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:54:05AM -0400, ravi wrote:

[I am trying to trim this down to what seems to be my essential confusion regarding the veg. activist's position. I am not intending to misrepresent.]

> My answer above (including the parts from my message not quoted)
> addresses this. Housing (or office space) in many cases (exceptions
> noted above) is a necessity for human survival.

You say that killing for meat is not ethical because it is not justifiable because it is not necessary. Isn't this begging the question?

I want to know the a priori method for sorting out these killings so that when I encounter one I can identify it as ethical/justifiable/necessary or not. It seems more like you have categories of sacred and profane, with killing for new construction being sacred, and killing for meat being profane.

Which is fine. I can't really justify why I am revolted by a fur coat but would not consider giving up my leather loafers. Nor why I enjoy eating chicken and the occasional steak but would end up wussing out if I had to hunt those animals myself. Nor why at the annual fund-raising gala for my town's animal shelter, they served chicken, prime rib, and salmon.

This is why I avoid labeling those who approve of killing animals (in ways I do not) as participating in "suffering and torture".

> Look, my posts are littered with the subtle gradations of the
> recommended actions in favour of my goals of animal welfare. But it
> would be wrong of me to give you the idea that I think that adoption
> of a vegetarian (or some would argue, vegan) diet is not the more
> humane thing to do. Again, we are getting ahead of ourselves. The
> arguments against my position are I think more guilty of the jumps and
> hand-waving that worry you so. They vascillate between personal
> animosity towards vegetarians (their attitude) to radical doubt.

I don't recall making an argument against a position, or displaying personal animosity. But this little nugget:

> Support something better than yourself ;-)

which is a Ha-Ha-Only-Serious bit if there ever was, is asking to be mocked. Smug Alert!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLpx_yioYik

So, I'm a little skeptical if you want me to think through no fault of your own the omnivores display animosity. Just saying, but if you cut back on the "suffering and torture" talk people may react differently.

Matt

-- GnuPG Key ID: 0xC33BD882 aim: beyondzero123 yahoo msg: beyondzero123

Theoretically, people see money on the counter, and no one around, they think they're being watched.

-Dante Hicks Honesty through paranoia.

-Veronica