[lbo-talk] good morning my fellow ecosystems

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 16 13:20:32 PDT 2009

At 01:46 PM 4/16/2009, John Thornton wrote:

>She is correct about one thing, she sounds like a fruit-cake.

"You can't call yourself a true environmentalist unless you're vegan."

This is from an interview with Chrissie Hynde. Seems drinking kool-aid is allowed:

http://blog.peta.org/archives/2008/10/the_pretenders.php

Dan Mathews: Tell us about some of the highlights of your life as an animal activist.

Chrissie Hynde: I like the way that question is worded because I consider myself an animal activist first and my music as more of a hobby that gives me a platform to fight for animals. The big highlight was when I first walked into the PETA headquarters and looked at all the files of cases you've won and all the activity and campaigns planning. Having been a fairly dour vegetarian since 1969 when nobody really gave a shit about animals, it was the first time I ever felt optimistic about the movement really succeeding.

I also loved getting up at 4 a.m. after the first big PETA gala in Washington D.C. in the early 90s to go on a hunt sabotage. I like being on the front lines, though I'm not really on the front lines as I've never personally busted into a slaughterhouse. Those I admire most are the PETA investigators who infiltrate. At another PETA gala I was changed forever by James Cromwell's speech in which he said "You can't call yourself a true environmentalist unless you're vegan." That attitude is finally sinking in and people are realizing what they eat determines how responsible a citizen they are. I recently saw him in L.A. and jumped up and thanked and hugged him and made a huge fuss

but I don't think he knew who I was!

The thing I'm most proud of is going after the Gap and getting them to stop buying leather from the horrible black market in India. I love all animals but my main focus has always been cows, so it was a joy to go to jail with Ingrid after the Gap protest and have it succeed. I love Ingrid and always urge her to take a break once in a while; I even made her come over to my house in London to chill out and watch a movie.