[lbo-talk] good morning my fellow ecosystems

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Thu Apr 16 19:31:09 PDT 2009

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 21:28:44 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> "A spider conducts operations that resemble those of a weaver, and a
> bee puts to shame many an architect in the construction of her cells.
> But what distinguishes the worst architect from the best of bees is
> this, that the architect raises his structure in imagination before he
> erects it in reality.

Golly! Who knew that Marx was such an idealist? And of course he was a very confident guy, bless him, but how could have known so much one way or the other about the subjectivity of the spider?

> At the end of every labour-process, we get a
> result that already existed in the imagination of the labourer at its
> commencement.

One gets the sense that the Old Man, with all his brilliance, didn't have much experience with hand tools.

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org