[lbo-talk] good morning my fellow ecosystems

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Apr 16 20:36:38 PDT 2009

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Michael Smith wrote:

>> But amusingly, if you spin the hive after the first bee enters, they
>> all go off in the wrong direction.
>
> Try spinning the Senior Common Room at Balliol in the same way, and you'll
> be vastly amused by the behavior of the dons

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. What's interesting about the bees is not that they are disoriented, but rather that they are not: they fly to exactly where the nectar would have been: the exact same distance, and at the exact angle to the correct flight path as you've revolved the hive. And then, finding nothing, they fly back.

Michael