[lbo-talk] interspecies mating (was good morning my fellow ecosystems)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 17 02:33:16 PDT 2009

By the everyday meaning of the term "language," as opposed to that used by linguists, having a vocabulary of several hundred words IS having a language facility. More broadly you are right though.

Anyway, my point was that you cannot find a trait shared by _all_ humans that is not possessed by _any_ animals. There are certainly humans that have no language facility whatsoever and who the Koko the gorilla would have no problem taking on in a battle of wits (Bill Bartlett?). The practice of killing such people, however, is still normally called murder. Therefore, the language facility cannot be the relevant criterion -- unless killing such people is actually morally OK and the Nazis had it right after all.