[lbo-talk] Thumbs, ecosystems, neanderthals

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Apr 17 02:43:20 PDT 2009

"That they [Neanderthals] were killed off by our ancestors is unlikely"

I thought current thinking was that the Neanderthals failed to respond to climate change, keeping to the shore-lines, while our ancestors followed the retreating glaciers in-land, thus prospering. No doubt this is all bunkum that will be overthrown soon, if it has not already.

When I was a boy, my encyclopedia was so old that it still had Piltdown Man in it as the missing link.