[lbo-talk] Pirate Bay founders found guilty

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Fri Apr 17 07:47:20 PDT 2009

On Fri, April 17, 2009 4:29 am, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> Looks like monopoly capital won this round, but the is no way they will
> win the war against "piracy." If I understand the torrent system
> correctly, shutting down one operator has zero effect on the system
> itself, which is a network of connections.
>
> Fuck monopoly capital - support your local pirate. Am I risking a jail
> term for saying that?

Yes. By the logic of the court decision, even discussing the Pirate Bay or posting a link to its site (thepiratebay.org) is tantamount to aiding and abetting copyright infringement. It's like jailing cutlery makers because someone committed homicide with a knife.

Of course, they'll have to jail most of the inhabitants of the planet -- anyone who ever watched TV on a friend's TV (stealing!), borrowed a CD from the library (theft!), bought a used book (heist!), or borrowed any idea, concept or notion from anyone else, every (copyright infringement!).

Transnational capitalism wants to turn the entire planet into a jail cell.

-- DRR