[lbo-talk] good morning my fellow ecosystems

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 08:26:09 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Apr 17, 2009, at 10:41 AM, Jordan Hayes wrote:
>
> Alice Waters
>>

> "That's not cooking, that's shopping."

Doug, have you eaten at Chez Panisse? or the Greens Restaurant? Celebrating my just-then-minted PhD, my dad and aunt - committed meat eaters of utterly conventional American gastronomic preferences - agreed to take my now-wife and I to Greens... it was variously subtle, complex and explosive but exquisite across all the courses. However, for both my dad and my aunt (my mom, her sister, had died just six months before) it was boring and uninteresting... because they were used to the strong flavors and sauces of meated dishes. While I agree that Wojtek's claim is bunk, it is equally true that there is incredible richness and subtlety (and explosiveness) to good vegetarian cooking. The issue of richness and flavor is an issue of the quality of the cooking, not an issue of vegetarianism vs. omnivorousness. Anyway, I think this thread - which started with a far more interesting issue (at least for me) - went on too long about 100 posts ago, at least in significant part because it is an almost perfect double for earlier exchanges on other issues. -A