[lbo-talk] Million Gay March in Dalas, TX, this June

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 17 14:20:29 PDT 2009

http://www.dallasvoice.com/artman/publish/article_11114.php

Stonewall Riots anniversary events kick off with dinner

By John Wright News Editor Apr 16, 2009 - 6:29:42 PM

Event at Round-Up Saloon to honor LGBT activists, raise funds for march in June

A coalition of local LGBT organizations will kick off their commemoration of the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall riots with a fundraising dinner on Monday, April 27 at the Round-Up Saloon.

The dinner will honor those who’ve dedicated their lives to the cause of LGBT equality, including some who experienced the riots firsthand in the early morning hours of June 28, 1969, according to a press release.

“The Stonewall riots were a pivotal moment in the start of the gay rights movement. It is only fitting that on this 40th anniversary we honor those who were there and took a stand,” said Erin Moore, president of Stonewall Democrats of Dallas.

Stonewall Democrats is part of a coalition that’s organizing the Million Gay March of Texas, an event planned for June 28 in Dallas that will be part of a nationwide effort to mark the anniversary of the Stonewall riots. Proceeds from the April 27 dinner will go toward Million Gay March of Texas.

“We are thrilled that our community is coming together to honor those who have fought to get usto where we are today. We must remember our past as we look to our future,” said Daniel Cates of Fort Worth, co-chair of Million Gay March of Texas.

The dinner kicks off at 7 p.m. and is open to the public. It will feature cuisine provided by local LGBT caterers, live entertainment and guest speakers.

Admission is a $15 donation per person or $25 per couple. For more info on the dinner, go to www.roundupsaloon.com or call 214-522-9611.

For more info on the march, go to www.milliongaymarch.org.

The Round-Up Saloon is at 3912 Cedar Springs Road.

“The Round-Up is really happy to host this event honoring the anniversary of Stonewall,” said Alan Pierce, co-owner of the bar. “I was particularly excited to learn that we have a few Dallas GLBTs who were actually at Stonewall. The reception will honor everyone who had anything to do with Stonewall, and especially the local Dallas personalities who participated.

“I told the story of Stonewall to our young employees today, reminding them how indebted we are to the early GLBT pioneers who stood up to police for the first time and risked injury and jail for fighting for our rights,” Pierce said. “The young generation of GLBT poeple needs to know the story, and remember it. We can lose freedoms and rights if we do not remember where we came from and whom we owe for those freedoms.”