[lbo-talk] Dire Consequences of the Food Wars of the Carbon Age!

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Sat Apr 18 12:58:01 PDT 2009

On Apr 17, 2009, at 1:11 PM, Alan Rudy wrote:

> Doug:
> You walked the wrong way:
> http://www.berkeleylunch.com/
> or
> http://www.worldpantry.com/bettes/home.html
> and I think there's a little corner place south of
> University on MLK... but I can't remember its
> name.
> -A

Yes, Doug walked the wrong way. The name of the place started as Fat Alberts, then turned into Fat Apples. When it started in the early 80s, it was pretty good. The menus were all American breakfast, and lunches. Eggs, pancakes, sausage, hamburgers, tuna salad, potato salad, meat loaf, and then breads, cakes, pies.

What they were trying to do is reproduce the old American style diner and eatery, only make it better tasting. I haven't eaten there in years. It was a favorite lunch stop for the bio-science lab crew on Friday's after the mid-day meeting and presentations.

Its at Rose and MLK, about four or five block north from KPFA.

The other place was just across the street from MLK and University, Au Coquelet. It is a combination expresso bar and restaurant. Go in the back behind the bar. You can get regular US style breakfasts of eggs, omulettes, .. I don't know about oatmeal, but you can always ask off menu to do up some eggs over easy, orange juice, toasted bread and butter. The place is a little better than standard fair. We used to go there when I was working for a computer training project out of Vista, just up the street on Milvia.

With a longer walk, go up to Shattuck and Vine. The best breakfast place is Moshi's. When it started it was trying to do a straight out copy of NYC Jewish deli and restaurant. So it had a full breakfast and lunch menu along with a well stocked Kosher deli. There were old Yiddish newspaper front pages framed and hung on the walls, black and white tile floors, old fashion booth and table setting, noisy and busy. Back in the late 70s(?) it was great food, but slightly over priced.

I had a craving for a grilled Ruben for some reason, probably reading Strauss again, and went there some months ago. The Ruben was great, but still over priced. They have completely remodeled the place. One cool thing they did was bring the kitchen out into the eating area so you can watch them cook and prepare orders while you wait for take out orders.

CG