[lbo-talk] papal logic

farmelantj at juno.com farmelantj at juno.com
Tue Apr 21 04:16:55 PDT 2009

The last pope was a phenomenologist who admired Husserl and Scheler, and who, controversially, canonized Edith Stein, the Jewish convert to Catholicism, who became a nun and was a phenomenological philosopher.

The current pope, while I think is more of a theologian than a philosopher, also seems to have a predilection for phenomenology, and has had his clashes with the Thomists.

Jim F.

---------- Original Message ---------- From: Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] papal logic Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 03:16:48 -0700 (PDT)

Here's another hilarious example of this. I went to grad school at a Catholic university surrounded by Catholic intellectuals. If you don't have much experience with American Catholic philosophers, I'll just briefly explain that they tend to be either irritating-as-fuck hyperconservative Thomists or left-leaning (on economic issues, at least) phenomenologists. Anyway the Thomists (all recognizable by their haircuts) are fond of decrying everybody who is not as conservative as them as being wishy-washy cafeteria Catholics.

Until the Pope said that the Iraq War was an abomination in the eyes of God. Then, they started complaining about the pacifists in the Vatican.

____________________________________________________________ Get a life insurance quote online. Click to compare rates and save. http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTQcxK7Y1I2KfFQ6kk6pMIpPCjurQ8DDDDWHfy78kGW6ExJvDaakDG/