[lbo-talk] rage at the top

Ben Jackson nonplus.plus at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 08:16:28 PDT 2009

> “No offense to Middle America, but if someone went to Columbia or Wharton,
> [even if] their company is a fumbling, mismanaged bank, why should they all
> of a sudden be paid the same as the guy down the block who delivers restaurant
> supplies for Sysco out of a huge, shiny truck?” e-mails an irate Citigroup executive
> to a colleague.

A response to the article from a former New York employee. http://www.theawl.com/2009/04/rich-people-things

Some of the comments are amusing...

davidwatts: I personally don’t know any Sysco drivers making 100 to 300 grand.

kitten_witawip: I guess they never learned how to let things fall off their trucks.

hockeymom: I had a conversation with someone bemoaning the fact that it wasn’t “fun” for her husband to be a hedge fund manager anymore and he was going to retire (at age 44). When I pointed out it wasn’t ”fun” to lose our 401ks and college funds, she said “The problem is that people like my husband are too smart. It’s not his fault that the government set up a system where really smart people can make a lot of money and people who aren’t as smart are the regulators. It’s not like he broke any laws, or anything.”

SarahHeartburn: Did you hurt your hand when you hit her?