[lbo-talk] papal logic

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Apr 22 09:37:48 PDT 2009

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> I'm sorry, I seem to have walked into the wrong room. Could someone
> please direct me to lbotalk?

As an atheist in good standing I'm _still_ most thankful for the trends in RC that C.G.E. is recounting. During the last 20 years almost all my political comrades in B/N have been RC. And the late Father Kelly, who fo r many years headed the Newman Center at ISU, made that a center both for local left politics but _also_ the U.S. center of the Philippine Resistance. In his last yearsa the MF-ing Bishop in Peoria exiled him to a god-forsaken little burg in western Illinois, where he had almost no intellectual companionship. He came back to Bloomington to die, living his last days at a local shelter for abused women run by a former student of mine. She put out a call for people to volunteer to deliver meals for him and as it happened his last meal was provided by Jan and me: I cooked goulash, she provided a pie and salad. The report was he liked all three. When I met his brother (also a priest) at the visitation for him, I remarked that Father Kelly had come from Rome, I from Moscow, and we met in the Philippines.

Carrol