[lbo-talk] Identi.ca for Twittering Leftists?

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 12:57:34 PDT 2009

E:

Here's a (pretty clean) scan of the Manifesto for Cyborgs (it's the book chapter, rather than the original article [and is w/o footnotes/references]): http://www.stanford.edu/dept/HPS/Haraway/CyborgManifesto.html

you can download the Situated Knowledges chapter (also not the original article) here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/6725621/Haraway-Situated-Knowledge

The situated knowledges piece always went over very well with my (utterly modern-ist and under-prepared graduate students), while the cyborg piece is written in a moderately more playful/difficult/subversive way.

There have been a good number of published interviews with Donna over the last decade, here's an interesting one which starts with cyborgs, cyberspace and race: http://www.electronicbookreview.com/thread/technocapitalism/interview

Shag:

I'm with Ravi on this one. All of this stuff is rooted in polluted origins and dominated by impure usages... which sounds like everything else I know from nature to science to sex to families to education to build environments to public space to the arts to politics and the state and economics and production... if I can use it to my/our ends, more power to us as I see it.

I, too, sit in front of this machine way way too much - though as one of Ravi's "users" rather than one who claims the identity "technie" - whether in your terms or his... even if my students - the tech generation, my ass - see me as a technophile of a particularly high order.

I was virulently against cell phones for a long time, then their utility became clear - as a result of learning about the ways left movements and academics have connected indigenous people in the South with NGOs and the media in the North, in real time... AND, we had kids and it was very useful to be more available to Diane given that I work an hour away and am rarely in my office. I thought web-enabled cell phones were an abomination but... last, a good aggregator + something like Digsby means that I don't spend a ton of time tracking tweets or looking over hundreds of Facebook updates, I scan them as they appear or set aside a few moments to glance over the pile of them and select only the ones I care the most about to consider looking more closely at.

I've also tried to stay current with too many lists in the past... I'm down to two, now, and one where I, every once in a while, lurk. The rest either stagnated, went silent, or were peopled by too few smart and committed allies.

Here's hoping (but doubting) that your Spring's further along than ours - NYC's sure was.

Alan