[lbo-talk] Schafer tries to semi-debunk the infrastructure crisis

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Wed Apr 22 13:33:04 PDT 2009

He's mostly right. I worked on the report linked below.

Ratings of 'functionally obsolete' or "structurally deficient" don't mean that a bridge should be repaired, nor that it is unsafe for any use. A bridge that is positively unsafe is closed.

He is also right that money for bridges does not necessarily get used for bridges that could benefit from repair. There are no requirements on where the money goes. In fact it can be used for highways. He is WRONG that a bridge that could benefit from repair is the one that should be repaired. The public might be better served with a whole new bridge somewhere else. Depends on the traffic a bridge would sustain. He is also wrong in the implication that the Feds know better which bridge to fix than the locals. Of course, politics could infect the decision at either end. There is a bias towards "ribbon-cutting" -- building new stuff rather than fixing old. It's more politically rewarding to open up a new facility (until the old one collapses and kills somebody; but that is a rare event).

He is clueless about the benefits of more bridge capital or infrastructure of any type. Many bridges facilitate roads for auto travel. If you think we need more of that you like more bridges. Naturally there is a good case for more emphasis on rail, though buses use the same bridges as cars.

http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-08-1127T